Bagged My First Deer

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: Chamookman, capt.dan

FHB

Bagged My First Deer

Unread post by FHB » May 28th, 2018, 10:42 am

Had to wait 'til I was 80 years old to do it. We were on the way up to Outdoor Adventures for our first summer outing, last Monday. I was driving my truck, towing a landscape trailer carrying a golf cart (we keep the fiver in storage at the park), and my wife was behind me in her car. Just got across the North Branch of the Kawkawlin River on I-75 when I saw the young doe right in front of me. Didn't even have time to take my foot off the gas. I was doing 70, and knocked her clear across one lane and the ditch, and into oblivion. I didn't want to stop on the expressway, especially with the trailer behind me, so since I didn't see any flying parts off the front of my truck, and didn't hear the fan blades clattering against the back of my radiator, I just kept on going the three or so miles to Linwood Rd. (keeping a close eye on the temperature gauge), where I pulled in to the Mobil station.

My front end was stove in from the bumper on down. No grille and hood and fender damage, suprisingly enough. Radiator was dripping anti-freeze, so I knew that I wasn't going to drive any further. Called the dealer in Frankenmuth, and he dispatched a flatbed to pick up the truck. Called 911, and they sent a state trooper out. Unhitched the trailer, and moved it to a parking slot next to the gas station. Transferred stuff from inside the truck to my wife's car.

State Trooper arrived in about a half hour, and started his report. Had just finished it, when I saw the flatbed from Frankenmuth on the exit ramp. My sons came up in the evening to retrieve the trailer and tow it the rest of the way to OA. Called the insurance company early Tuesday morning, and the adjuster was at the dealership on Wednesday. Damage was a little over four grand. Should have the truck back early next week. No hassles, except for the event itself. I think I'll get off at Wilder Road and go up M-13 from now on.

When I got out of the truck at the station on Linwood Rd., my wife pulled up and asked me, "Do you know that you hit a deer?" :grin: She apparently thought that I might have been unaware, since I didn't slow down until I got to Linwood Rd.
Fred - Go Blue! :go blue:

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » May 29th, 2018, 2:29 am

I only have one to my credit as well Fred. But mine was A BUCK. And he was processed that same
Afternoon with the 3 King Salmon I caught on the river that day.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

jaybe

Unread post by jaybe » June 1st, 2018, 7:28 pm

Sorry you had to get your deer that way, Fred. But that's what insurance is for, I reckon.
Good to see you and the Missus at the campground.
Hope you have a good summer.
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

FHB

Unread post by FHB » June 2nd, 2018, 10:09 am

jaybe wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 7:28 pm
Sorry you had to get your deer that way, Fred. But that's what insurance is for, I reckon.
Good to see you and the Missus at the campground.
Hope you have a good summer.
Thanks, Jerry! It was good to see you and Cynthia, too. Thanks for your help loading the golf cart, when my daughter came to pick it up. Hope to see you again, soon. Catch lots of fish!
Fred - Go Blue! :go blue: