The Greatest Contrast

Hmmm

Moderators: capt.dan, jaybe

jaybe

The Greatest Contrast

Unread post by jaybe » April 21st, 2019, 4:28 pm

The past two weeks I watched the TV documentary on Jim Jones and Jonestown, that tragedy that resulted in the deaths of 918 people in the jungles of Guyana back in 1978. Within a couple of days, the whole world was shocked to see the images of the bodies of men, women and children piled around the "compound". People were asking, "How could this be?" "What could have led to all these people giving up not only their fortunes, but the lives of first their children, and then themselves for a man whose bloated body also lay among them on the dirty African floor?" Surely it wasn't a matter of them not having faith in him. It was later revealed that most, if not all of them believed him to be "the reincarnation of Buddha, Gandhi, Vladimir Lenin, and Jesus." (his words, not mine). But he was not. Nor have been the many other false Christs and false Messiahs that have come down through recorded history. Look at the contrasts:
1. There is only one Savior, and it is His resurrection that the whole world has celebrated today. You see, the real Savior, though He lived in a certain time and place on earth, is the Savior of all mankind. This came about because after He had been sent by God to offer one sacrifice for sin forever on the cross (Hebrews 10:11-14), His body did not remain a corpse, later to dissolve back to the elements. Though He was tortured, then executed by the most cruel means known to man at the time - and then a spear run through His heart for good measure - He arose bodily from a well-guarded tomb 3 days after He was buried. He was seen alive for the next 40 days by not only His close friends, but by over 500 people at one time - many of who remained alive to tell their story 30 years later (1 Corinthians 15:3-7).
2. Contrary to the sham of a life that Jim Jones lived, and all the empty promises that he made to his followers, Jesus was everything He said He was; He did everything He said He could; He will do everything He has promised to do. He is the fullness of the God who cannot lie (Colossians 2:9), and has all power on Heaven and Earth to accomplish His will.
3. Perhaps one of the greatest contrasts (though there are many) is that to follow Jim Jones led to death, but to follow Jesus Christ leads to life. Real life. Eternal life. Listen to His words in John 5:24: "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." That's Jesus's promise, and it goes out to all.
Countless people have claimed this promise by faith - from a man they have never seen - and found the joy of forgiveness and a new purpose in life. But beyond the blessings in this life, the one who truly trusts in Jesus Christ as Savior also can have the sure and certain hope of eternity with Him in Heaven. Here again are His words from John 11:25-26: “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
My prayer today is that everyone reading these words will already have - or will place their faith and trust in Him alone as their only Savior and Lord.
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » April 22nd, 2019, 12:00 am

Amen JB.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

Hey Dude

Unread post by Hey Dude » April 22nd, 2019, 7:42 am

Amen !!

bbarrera

Unread post by bbarrera » April 23rd, 2019, 10:02 am

is there any fishing info on mouth of sag river to island

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » April 23rd, 2019, 4:59 pm

bbarrera wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:02 am
is there any fishing info on mouth of sag river to island
The bite is on around the island and in the channel mouth outside of the range light of course. Its just picking the right time and non-windy day. :thumright:
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.