Why Did God write a Book?

Hmmm

Moderators: capt.dan, jaybe

capt.dan

Why Did God write a Book?

Unread post by capt.dan » September 9th, 2018, 10:10 am

https://crossexamined.org/god-write-book/

In my narrow view and the 8 years of learning in Catholic School religion classes and bible study's, which were (1 hour per day/5 days a week and again on Sunday in church for a continuous 8 years) I remember Jesus's disciples asking Him or insinuating several times in many passages, just what Jesus meant by many of the things he was both saying and/or doing in and at his public gatherings and sermons. Lets face it, these were not scholars, scribes or mental giants Jesus was drafting into service to help Him spread Gods word. I specifically remember reading Judas himself, after turning Jesus over to the Romans Soldiers and the Jewish temple Rabbis in the garden of Olives, that he felt Jesus himself would then be forced to use his divine powers and overthrow the Roman army. Something once again humanly misunderstood about Jesus's earthly mission by one of his close students and disciples. So it had to be a divine understanding itself, that Jesus instilled on them before His ascension into heaven, that allowed the disciples to pen anything that made divine sense and acted as a guide to eternal life.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

jaybe

Unread post by jaybe » September 24th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Wow! Sorry it took me so long to reply here. I have been busy working on another project and just didn't check into this forum for a while.
Dan, that's an excellent article. Based on just this article, that's probably a good website to use as a resource, though I haven't checked it out further yet.
To your statement, "So it had to be a divine understanding itself, that Jesus instilled on them before His ascension into heaven, that allowed the disciples to pen anything that made divine sense and acted as a guide to eternal life." - I believe the Bible teaches that it was something Jesus instilled in them AFTER His ascension that allowed them to write what they did. It was the Holy Spirit.
In John 14 and 16 Jesus foretold of HIs soon departure and the coming of the Holy Spirit to "guide them into all truth". In John 14:25-26 He said, "I have spoken these things to you while I remain with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit — the Father will send Him in My name — will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you."
And in 16:12-13 He said, “I still have many things to tell you, but you can’t bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak whatever He hears. He will also declare to you what is to come."
Most Bible scholars see this promise of the Holy Spirit to those who believed in Jesus as the key to their being able to write the words God wanted. This was a new phase of the Spirit's ministry, since Jesus specifically told HIs disciples that the Spirit, who only temporarily came upon Old Testament prophets for a temporary purpose, would, in the future, be IN them forever. John 14:15-17 - “If you love Me, you will keep My commands. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. He is the Spirit of truth. The world is unable to receive Him because it doesn’t see Him or know Him. But you do know Him, because He remains with you and will be in you." (emphasis mine).
Further, Peter wrote, "First of all, you should know this: No prophecy of Scripture comes from one’s own interpretation,
because no prophecy ever came by the will of man; instead, men spoke from God as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."
(2 Peter 1:20-21). Peter was specifically speaking of the Old Testament scriptures, but the same Spirit moved upon (from within) the New Testament authors. The word, "moved" is from a Greek word, meaning, "to bear along", and was often used in secular writing of a ship being "borne along" by the wind. The Holy Spirit moved all of the Bible's authors in a special way as to guarantee the accuracy of the whole Bible. Theologically, this is called, Inspiration.

It is also the Holy Spirit who enables people to understand the Bible. Many people read it and it's just another book. To many, it makes no sense at all. That is because it isn't an ordinary book - it's God's book and it is full of spiritual teaching and principles that cannot be understood by those who reject God and His only remedy for their sin - the Lord Jesus Christ. The apostle Paul made this clear in 1 Corinthians 2:13-14 - "We also speak these things, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual things to spiritual people. But the unbeliever does not welcome what comes from God’s Spirit, because it is foolishness to him; he is not able to understand it since it is evaluated spiritually." Theologically, this is called, Illumination.

Thanks for the article.
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » September 26th, 2018, 12:09 am

Thanks JB. Oddly enough the Holy Spirits part in the trinity was always mentioned, but seemed less studied in it's divine role and to the same degree as the God the Father and Jesus the Son was in Catholic schools. Or maybe the Holy Spirits part and role held less importance or fascination to me as the rest of it did, hard to say. But you explained it perfectly. There's been a few real times in my life when the meaning and clarity of Gods words or his heart felt presence seemed finite to me. That sounds like the Holy spirits work considering your scripture explanation.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.