Good News!

Hmmm

Moderators: capt.dan, jaybe

jaybe

Good News!

Unread post by jaybe » August 26th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Good News!

Whatever else is discussed in this forum, whatever topic is addressed, there is one that stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of importance. It deserves to be kept at the forefront of everyone’s attention because it is Good News – the best news that has ever been communicated among mankind. It is the Gospel of Jesus Christ – “gospel” means, Good News.
The gospel is found throughout the pages of the Bible, but perhaps one of the clearest summaries of it was written by the apostle Paul in his epistle to the Corinthians –
“Now brothers, I want to clarify for you the gospel I proclaimed to you; you received it and have taken your stand on it. You are also saved by it, if you hold to the message I proclaimed to you — unless you believed for no purpose.
For I passed on to you as most important what I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the Twelve. Then He appeared to over 500 brothers at one time; most of them are still alive, but some have fallen asleep.”
(1 Cor. 15:1-6)
Every word of this is important, but allow me to point out a few especially key items contained in this passage:
1. Christ died for our sins. Our Sins. That includes mine, yours and everyone in the human race. We are all sinners and stand guilty before God, having broken His commandments. We have all lied, we have all taken something that wasn’t ours, we have all … you can fill in the blanks with the rest of the commandments. “But wait”, you say, “I have never murdered anyone!” Most people haven’t, but Jesus said that if we have hated someone, it’s the same as murder because it expresses the same heart attitude. This is the standard by which we will all be judged when we stand before a perfectly holy God. Not what we think is wrong, or what society allows, but what God says is right and wrong.
“So What? Is it really a big deal?” Yes, it is when it comes to the matter of our eternal destiny. You see, the Bible declares that, “It is appointed for people to die once — and after this, judgment…” (Hebrews 9:27). We shall all stand before God one day, and when we do, our sin will be in view.
2. Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures. The Old Testament scriptures foretold of the coming of a Redeemer who would save His people from their sins. There are over 300 prophecies written hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus of Nazareth that foretell of Him. He is that promised Redeemer. Jesus said to the religious leaders of His day, “I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. Therefore I told you that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:23-24).
The apostle John wrote, “He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only, but for the sins of the whole world.” (1 John 2:2). The fact that He was buried was proof that He was actually dead.
On that day when we stand before God, we will either stand as one who has accepted by faith what Jesus did for us, or we will stand as one who has rejected the only way of forgiveness. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except by me.” (John 14:6). That’s the same truth conveyed in the very familiar verse, John 3:16 – “God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes on Him should not perish, but have eternal life.”
3. He was raised on the third day according to the scriptures. Many Old Testament scriptures also foretold His resurrection from the dead. This is important because (a) it showed that as Divine, death could not hold Him. He has power over death. (b) it showed that God the Father accepted His once-for-all sacrifice on our behalf by raising Him. The fact that He appeared to over 500 brothers at one time proved that He was actually alive from the dead.

That’s the Good News, friend – that’s the Gospel.
It’s the best news we could ever have told to us because it provides the way for us to be able to face the future knowing that we have a right standing with the God who created us, and to whom we are accountable.
“Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!” (2 Corinthians 9:15).
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » August 28th, 2018, 10:54 am

Like a recent Hot Fishing Report, its often been ironic to me sometimes how the Bible and the many Gospels teachings and good news, along with their promises of eternal life, seems to wear off over time, get put on the back burner or become less important, as your own daily problems and struggles wear both on your faith and your continual trust in them. Then can magically get embraced again in times of trouble, despair, sickness or near death news, that zero's in on loved ones or your own mortality. In my own to few Prayers to God, I like to imagine, fervently hope and Pray that God has the biggest understanding of My Character, My own true heart, My soul AND EVEN MY HUMAN EGO. Because on those occasions when I do talk and thank God for all my blessings, I do so both as my Creator and an attentive and loving Father, who knows every good or bad thing I've ever done, felt or thought about. Only then (IMHO) can a mans true faith and confidence in both God and His holy Gospels, keep him on course to that eternal fishing Hot Spot.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.