Names of God - #2

Hmmm

Moderators: capt.dan, jaybe

jaybe

Names of God - #2

Unread post by jaybe » September 9th, 2016, 11:12 am

In His Word God has revealed Himself by at least 17 different names. These names each tell us something about Him and His character.
By understanding what God is telling us through these different names, we can determine whether we are believing in, and trusting the God of the Bible - or - if we are believing in something else.
This is the second in the series .

2. El-Elyon – Probably pronounced, El-el-yone. Our English Bibles often translate it, “Most High God” or “Almighty”. This name of God is used 28 times in the Old Testament with 19 of those occurrences in the Psalms.
It expresses the extreme sovereignty and majesty of God and His highest preeminence.
Psalm 18:13 - The LORD thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded.
Psalm 91:1 - He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
This name of God reveals Him to be the One who is sovereign and He is in absolute control. This doesn’t mean that He causes everything that happens, but that nothing happens apart from His permissive will, and nothing takes Him by surprize.
We read the paper or watch the TV and wonder what is happening to our world. We may ask, “How could God allow this stuff to go on – and it seems to be getting worse?!”
This is when we need to remember that God did not create man to be a puppet to “dance His tune”, but He made Him with a mind and a will to choose good or evil.
El-Elyon will bring about His divine purposes even through the evil that man does. But as Psalm 91:1 teaches, it is the privilege of every person to “dwell in the shelter” and “rest in the shadow” of the Most High God. This is done through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ.
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » September 9th, 2016, 11:59 am

You'd think being given A FREE WILL by our creator and then ironically, going to war several times in our American history to first win and then to stay a free and self governing people, would be indelibly entrenched in every mans heart, mind and soul. You'd think with the ALMIGHTYS power and handy work all around us daily and his sons sacrifice and teachings, written down in the second of two version, in the only best selling book still being sold 3000 years later, that the cultural, social and spiritual insults, ignorance and malaise would simply stop. We've read in the old testament what happens when God has to step in to set things straight. The cries for forgiveness seem the loudest then don't they? :wink:
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

jaybe

Unread post by jaybe » September 9th, 2016, 2:26 pm

You would think so. Especially when something like 80% of Americans say they believe in God. (?) But we don't see people living as though they did.
The problem is not new. God spoke to the people of Israel through the prophet Isaiah after something like 7 CENTURIES of leading them and providing for them: The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. - Isa. 29:13
The purpose for this series of posts is that some who read it will understand who God really is. And that they would worship and trust Him rather than something they have dreamed up or that would be likened to "rules taught by men".
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.