Why You Should Believe in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ

Hmmm

Moderators: capt.dan, jaybe

jaybe

Why You Should Believe in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ

Unread post by jaybe » March 22nd, 2016, 7:52 pm

Resurrection Day, or Easter is just around the corner. Like almost everything, we have tried to commercialize it, putting the emphasis on bunnies, chicks, candy and eggs. But for every clear-thinking person, there are at least 2 reasons why you should believe in the literal, bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.
1. The resurrection of Christ is inseparable from the gospel of Christ.
This might not seem clear at first glance, but the Bible declares, “I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, … By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. … that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures” (1 Cor. 15:1-4).
The gospel (good news) by which we can be saved (delivered from the penalty of our sin) includes both the death and resurrection of Jesus. A Savior who didn’t die for our sins is not a Savior at all, nor is a Savior who died, but remained in the grave.
2. The resurrection of Christ is the only basis for future hope.
The Apostle goes on to say, “If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. … And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.” (1 Cor. 15:13, 17).
The only way for sinful man (you and me) to come to a holy God is to have our sins atoned for by a perfect sacrifice. That is the message throughout the Bible. Jesus was that sacrifice. BUT – without the resurrection, Christ isn’t raised – He’s still in the grave – and that will be the end of us as well.
But He isn’t – He arose; and that gives reality to the hope – the thought – and the clear description of eternal life spoken of in the Bible and at least secretly hoped for by every rational person.
There are more reasons to believe in the resurrection, but I figure if I have held your attention on anything but fishing for 5 minutes, I’ve done well! :>)
Let me encourage you to attend church this Sunday. I invite you to Mayfair Bible Church for our service at 10:30 a.m. Our senior pastor has the flu; who knows, I may even be preaching!
Look us up at mayfairbible.org
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

The Doob

Unread post by The Doob » March 23rd, 2016, 6:27 am

Amen!!!

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » March 23rd, 2016, 9:05 am

Think of the honor, respect and praise we bestow apon soldiers or simple, common people for those rare times we hear about or see them sacrifice their lives for others. Or apon those who's jobs may involve such sacrifice during their daily duties. Those brave firemen who ran into the Twin Towers on 9-11. Most of these sacrifices that lead to death are instantaneous decisions, but no less honorable in their sacrifice.

Now imagine living for 34 years knowing that sacrificial future and fate ahead of time and the horrible way it must all end. I most often think of Jesus in that human sense as a flesh and blood man, when he fasted for so long and was tempted with food and riches by Satan on the Mountain. When in his most human fear and mental anguish, asked as he prayed, that God his father consider taking away his sacrificial cup of death in the Garden of Olives, prior to Judases kiss, Pilots palace guards and the Temple Priests coming for him. And the hours of torture from the whipping, the crown of thorn's, the carrying of the cross and the eventual horror of being nailed, hung and speared on that same cross. Jesus became a divine spirit after his death and resurrection. But he was a flesh and blood man like you and me until then. Let that sink in this Easter.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.