Interesting Biblical FACTS.

Hmmm

Moderators: capt.dan, jaybe

capt.dan

Interesting Biblical FACTS.

Unread post by capt.dan » April 6th, 2015, 12:35 am

Did you know that there are 613 Commandments?

The 10 we are familliar with, use and display are the ones spoken to the Israelites by God himself and the others were given to Moses on Mount Sinai.

Did you know that King Henry the 8th of England had all language versions of the Bible converted to English, especially Latin versions, as punishment to the Catholic Church, for not granting him an annulment of his first marriage?

He knew the Catholic Church wanted there version of the bible to stay in Latin to deter self interpretation of the scripture by it's readers. The dialog of the mass itself stayed in Latin for many generations after.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

jaybe

Unread post by jaybe » April 7th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Hey Dan - Sorry I missed seeing this for a couple of days.
Yes - the Jewish rabbis who studied the "Torah" (the first 5 books of the Old Testament)came up with 613 commandments - 365 negative (Thou shalt not) and 248 positive (Thou shalt).
You can go to this site for the complete list if you like: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/artic ... ts-the-613
From what I have been able to deduce, this was a process that began quite a while ago. Rabbi Mendel Weinbach wrote, "The first recorded attempt to develop scholarly criteria for counting the commandments was made close to 1,000 years ago by Rabbi Shimon Kaeira, whose classic Halochot Gedolot (The Great Laws) became the pacesetter in this field." But there is much debate as to the timing by many Jewish scholars today. They all agree, however, that they come from the original words that Moses wrote in those first 5 books.
No, I didn't know that fact about King Henry VIII, but from what I have read about him, almost anything is possible.
As far as trying to keep the Bible in any particular language goes, we should understand two things: (1) the Bible was written primarily in 2 languages, Hebrew and Greek, with some Aramaic here and there. It is only those original manuscripts which we believe were inspired by God, not any particular translation of them. (2) With all the languages in the world (750 in Papua New Guinea alone), it ought to be clear that translations are necessary so that people can hear and believe the Word of God. There are several large organizations that continue to do this work today. Thanks to computers, once a new language is learned and a program written, the work of translation goes much more quickly today.
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.