Jesus Chose the Nails

Hmmm

Moderators: capt.dan, jaybe

jaybe

Jesus Chose the Nails

Unread post by jaybe » April 3rd, 2015, 8:30 am

This is not original, but copied from Max Lucado. It sums up the main event that we remember today.

"Come with me to the hill of Calvary. Watch as the soldiers shove the carpenter to the ground and stretch his arms against the beams. Jesus turns his face toward the nail just as the soldier lifts his hammer to strike it!

Couldn’t Jesus have stopped him? With a flex of bicep, a clench of the fist, he could’ve resisted. But the moment isn’t aborted. Why? Why didn’t Jesus resist? As the soldier pressed his arm, Jesus saw a nail—yes. The soldier’s hand—yes. But he saw something else. A long list of our lusts and lies and greedy moments and prodigal years. A list of our sins. He knew the price of those sins was death. He knew the source of those sins was you. And he couldn’t bear the thought of eternity without you. He chose the nails!"
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » April 3rd, 2015, 9:29 am

That moment, that message and that sacrifice is what makes me cry every time I watch any of the movies where the Calvary scene is done well. That part and when Christ forgives his Roman killers from the cross, tells the two thiefs that they will be with him this day in Paradise. And his near last, excruciating, human moment, when he asks God his father why he has forsaken him. Then "it is done".

Giving your life for another human being is most often spontaneous and without long thought out thinking. This of course does little to diminish the bravery and sacrifice we all know that this must take. We ourselves worship these few human beings, never as fools and always as hero's.

But imagine a scenario of being born, living a human, feeling, joyful and painful life for 34 years on this earth and then shaping your own gruesome death, for the salvation sake of the people calling for it, the people actually doing it and the people born before and after it. It is/was and remains a sacrifice like no other. One sadly that so many atheists will never believed happened or be able to wrap their minds around.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.