Got one.... state land can be tough.

Posts about hunting in Michigan

Moderators: capt.dan, Chamookman

Gherner84

Got one.... state land can be tough.

Post by Gherner84 » October 15th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Been hunting the same chunk of state land on the midland/Gladwin Co line for 20+yrs. I’ve shot my share of deer but with no crop fields for 2 miles in any direction big bucks can be hard to come by. Then try sitting on the ground and trying to stick one with a crossbow, but last night set up perfect. Wind and weather were perfect for my best buck spot. Picked a large aspen tree and sat down 25yds from a tree that is a perennial scrape magnet. At 6 o’clock a basket rack 6-7 pt snuck in to 15yds over my left shoulder. I tried to get into position for a shot but the sun was in my face and I think he spotted the glare from my scope. Without a snort or stomp he calmly turned and trotted back the way he came. The wind died to a whisper and the silence made every sound seem like a deer so I lost my focus a little and right about 7 I look up and this dandy (remember this is high pressure low food land) 7pt is standing right where I want him at 25 yds under the scrape tree! I only glanced at his antlers once and knew yep that’s a shooter. He decided to make a scrape and I didn’t have my crossbow fully to my shoulder so I thought great! You scrape I’ll get ready and when you’re done BANG! Well he would scrape for 5 seconds then stare right at me. Pretty sure he could see me blink. After what seemed like an eternity he finished and immediately turned and started moving to my left. Plenty of brush between us gave a chance to shoulder my bow and find a narrow opening for the shot. 30yds and slightly quartering away I let it fly. A fern had blocked my view of the impact but it sounded like rib cage.He took off for 75 yds then stopped. He looked around put his tail down and began to stroll away calmly. I thought no way I missed! He walked at least another 30yds and right at the end zigzagged and crashed. The shot was a touch far back but nailed the liver on a clean pass through. Most exciting hunt of my life.
ADAAA8D0-AE86-40E0-8988-639CBC591ECA.jpeg
3EE7FC83-F974-41C8-9156-992772AC35F4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chamookman

Post by Chamookman » October 16th, 2019, 3:04 am

Good job ! thumbs_up
Bass - A fish for People that can't catch Walleyes !

sagbay
Site Admin

Post by sagbay » October 16th, 2019, 8:20 am

Nice one thumbs_up
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise (FJB)

mbartolo

Post by mbartolo » October 16th, 2019, 11:38 pm

Congrats... very well articulated.

capt.dan

Post by capt.dan » October 17th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Congrats bud. thumbs_up
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

jaybe

Post by jaybe » October 24th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Great story.
Glad you got one under those conditions.
:thumright:
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.