Two Days on the Stump.

Posts about hunting in Michigan

Moderators: Chamookman, capt.dan

capt.dan

Two Days on the Stump.

Unread post by capt.dan » December 8th, 2016, 5:21 pm

A phone call from a good friend of mine Tuesday night inviting me up for a couple of days of Muzzle loading was a welcomed invite. His reports of seeing lots of deer also made it an easy choice to pack the black powder pole stuffer along with some warm cloths and hit the trail.

I arrived at his camp late Wednesday morning and we spent the early afternoon road scouting different areas. I picked a place for the evening hunt and in total seen 12 deer. All does and one button buck. My bud had seen a few does and one tall spike. Being on the second part of his Combo license and restricted to 4 on one side only, the spike got a reprieve.

This morning with a severe weather advisory and 12 inches of snow predicted in that area, we switched spots hoping Mr. spike would make a Cameo appearance. With a regular license he was fair game in my crosshairs. Unfortunately he did not, but again plenty of does to keep me and my scope busy checking most of the morning.

When we met on the road at 10:00am the heavy snow was just starting. We were both headed for home after this so we had to unload our Muzzle Loaders. I seen a Burl up in a tree about 15 Feet, caused by worm borers and about 80 yards away. I'll bet you $20.00 you cannot hit that black burl knot on that tree, free standing and shooting off hand, I told him. Your on, he said. And he proceeded to nail it. He then challenged me to get my money back, and our total 2 shot results is posted below along with some deer pictures from the trip. That spike it seems was extremely lucky. :wink:

Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

Chamookman

Unread post by Chamookman » December 9th, 2016, 4:28 am

Good shootin' there Guys ! But I think someone is going to see that and think it's a BIG Black Owl :shock: :roll: :wink: :!:
Bass - A fish for People that can't catch Walleyes !

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » December 9th, 2016, 9:26 am

Chamookman wrote:Good shootin' there Guys ! But I think someone is going to see that and think it's a BIG Black Owl :shock: :roll: :wink: :!:

That's the first thing I said after my shot. "Looks like we carved an OWL out of that Burl" :roll: :lol:

I'm also noticing something else from the picture now. My shot is the one on the left in the picture. I wanted to adjusted my hunting load this year, after having to track Doe Zilla for quit a ways 2 years ago, even after good shot placement while using 100 grains of triple 7 and the Powerbelt Saboted 270 grain ballistic tips. My buddy told me to up my powder charge to 150 grains, because of the newer/stronger Italian/Bartlein steel barrels CVA is now using, in conjunction with the newer integrated/saboted 245 grain Powerbelt Copper Hallow Points. This initial FPS speed increase and the down range FPPSI increased hitting power it creates is devestating. Says he has shot 3 deer using this formula out to 150 yards and dropped all three in their tracks. My buddy yesterday was using the same bullet but only 90 grains of triple 7 when we shot. My hole looks a tad more devastating then his. :thinking:
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

Impact1775

Unread post by Impact1775 » December 13th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Actually surprised the guy you were with Dan could even hit the knot on the tree! Lol! I promise you the night of November 17th, he couldn't of hit that spot with a shotgun!! Lol

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » December 13th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Yes Scott, this particular buddies celebration regiment can often leave others ln the dust. But you walk around in a fog long enough, and it eventually feels like home. :drunk: Loved your little cottage in the woods bud. Thank you for your very generous character. :wink:

st.croixsuckerboy

Unread post by st.croixsuckerboy » December 14th, 2016, 10:52 am

Impact1775 wrote:Actually surprised the guy you were with Dan could even hit the knot on the tree! Lol! I promise you the night of November 17th, he couldn't of hit that spot with a shotgun!! Lol

Too much Bacardi on the 17th eh?!?!

Gatorbait

Unread post by Gatorbait » December 15th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Lol, haven't logged on in quite awhile. My ears be ringing 📢. I can hit a knot off the back of a spider monkey, blind folded with a slingshot...lol. just saying. Be tearing up some eye's on da hard water real soon! Time to start posting some pics again😃