Antlerless deer licenses just $5 for northeastern Lower Peninsula hunters

Posts about hunting in Michigan

Moderators: Chamookman, capt.dan

sagbay
Site Admin

Unread post by sagbay » September 30th, 2020, 2:54 pm

A white-tailed antlerless deer facing the camera, among the trees in a snowy Michigan forest

Hunters in deer management units 452 and 487 may now purchase antlerless deer licenses for only $5. Public- and private-land antlerless licenses are available in DMU 487 and public-land antlerless licenses are available in DMU 452. The discounted cost – reduced from the regular $20 antlerless deer license – is intended to provide an incentive for hunters to take more deer, which would help manage the size of the herd in northeast Michigan and may reduce the amount of bovine tuberculosis in the area. The discounted licenses are available to both resident and nonresident hunters.

Deer management units 452 and 487 include all of Alcona, Alpena, Iosco, Montmorency, Oscoda and Presque Isle counties. Hunters taking more antlerless deer in this targeted area can reduce the number of deer interacting with farms and help limit the number of bovine tuberculosis-infected wildlife and cattle herds in the future.

Bovine TB is spread primarily through the exchange of respiratory secretions between infected and uninfected animals. This transmission usually happens when animals are in close contact with each other. Bacteria released into the air through coughing and sneezing or onto shared food sources can spread the disease to uninfected animals.

Licenses will be offered at this reduced cost until October 2021. Resources to support this discount have been provided by the state Legislature, which has earmarked General Fund dollars to replace revenue the Game and Fish Protection Fund loses from the discounted licenses.

Discounted licenses will be available starting Oct. 1 and may be purchased online at Michigan.gov/DNRLicenses or at any retail license agent.

More information about deer hunting is available at Michigan.gov/Deer.
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise
PromisesKept.com

james.stephens

Unread post by james.stephens » October 2nd, 2020, 11:20 am

I hunt in Western KY and my out of state license is expensive but additional antlerless tags are $5 with two on a tag. Have as many as you want. There is good farmland and cover and more deer than rabbits. The first deer were introduced down there in late 50's and it has been amazing to watch the population grow to the point that they are everywhere. Same story with Turkey and Geese that have been planted in the recent past. I have some property which I have set aside for wildlife and really enjoy seeing the game come back. With very little hunting the population just keeps growing. On a side note no one has been shooting snakes and when I was down there last month the cottonmouth are everywhere. Saw one or more every time that we went into the bottom area. So many that I am looking for shot shells for an old 38 revolver.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » October 4th, 2020, 10:46 am

I hunted and have taken some nice deer in the bovine area for a few years. It has a lot of private ground and is close to my buddies place near Black Lake, where through his generosity I'd stay while hunting. Been hunting closer to home the last couple on my other buddies private place in Midland country. Age has narrowed my ambition to places easy to get to. But its as much about spending the day in the woods as it is about tagging a deer any more.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.