Its good to be remembered.

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: capt.dan, Chamookman

capt.dan

Its good to be remembered.

Post by capt.dan » October 4th, 2020, 7:25 pm

I bought in 1986 what was then this State's 3rd Dory Style Drift Boat to be sold and started using it that same year to guide with on a few of our State's best rivers for both Steelehead's and Salmon, under the name "Steelie Dan's River Charters". I bought it from Holsinger's Manufacturing in Kawkawlin Michigan. Holsinger's was a custom maker of Bar counters, fixtures and equipment, with it's owners having a passion for river fishing. Harley Holsinger (the owner) had recently been out west, seen and fished out of one of these little banana boats and fell in love with what he seen. So, for roughly 20 years I basically learned as I went along, using mine to run Storm Lures crankbaits effectively in fast water, versus the many other methods and techniques used in Michigan. I also bought my Smoker Craft river Jet Sled from Harley as he expanded his side business and used it for 23 years as well. I also chartered for 12 years on the Bay in my Grady White. All great memories of the trips, the lessons, the fish and the people I've crossed paths with. So when the guide I'm now using (see 5 posts down) to stay in touch with all those things, sent me this link tonight of a story written in the Great Lakes Angler, it was a very pleasant surprise.
https://www.glangler.com/blogs/articles ... y-ensalaco
Attachments
scan0023.jpg
scan0023.jpg (58.67 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
IM000711_sized.jpg
IM000711_sized.jpg (98.15 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

sagbay
Site Admin

Post by sagbay » October 4th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Reel Cool Dan and very nice he shared the article. :thumright:
Before I personally met you, you were always known in the GM plants as "Steely Dan" who wrote article for Michigan Steelheaders, Woods n' Waters or Michigan Outdoors I believe some 40 plus years ago, you have been around a long time ole boy :thumright: USA-flag
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise (FJB)

capt.dan

Post by capt.dan » October 5th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Yup....and its the rare times like these, that somebody as old as Tony Enselaco remembers his short but memorable visit with me on the river, that I cherish most. It was never about being famous so much to Me, as it was about being appreciated and respected as a good fisherman. It was actually Tony's son (little Tony) and his side kick Pedro Gonzales who first chartered me on the Big Manistee for kings and then later several times on the PM for steelhead, that brought his Dad over that particular day on the PM. And it still amazes me how many things about the people and the trips I remember like they were yesterday after all these years. Here's another picture of little Tony with Pedro after a day on the river.
Attachments
scan0050.jpg
scan0050.jpg (66.31 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.