Surprise!

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: Chamookman, capt.dan

FHB

Surprise!

Unread post by FHB » February 25th, 2019, 10:53 am

Fred - Go Blue! :go blue:

sagbay
Site Admin

Unread post by sagbay » February 25th, 2019, 11:36 am

WOW! Surprise may be an understatement surprise thumbs_up
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » February 25th, 2019, 11:02 pm

I've caught maybe 3 OR 4 ducks in My muskrat traps when I trapped the fish point game preserve years ago. All were wounded during duck season and continued to live and eat, using the holes I'd cut to access the vegetation under the ice. But sometimes they'd run into my traps.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

jaybe

Unread post by jaybe » March 28th, 2019, 5:34 pm

My son once caught a Mallard on a rod he had sat aside. We were fishing perch on a pier, started out with 2 rods, but could only keep up with one. The one he set aside still had a minnow on it which was grabbed by the duck. When my son picked up the rod, the duck took off, but was flying a circle around his head on about 3 ft of line. Was pretty comical for a minute there. We finally captured the bird and were able to make a clean release. 😁
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

Ruler2112

Unread post by Ruler2112 » April 5th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Many years ago, I asked my father if he wanted to go fishing on a Saturday. He did not, so I went out alone. Launched out of the river, drove north a short distance as the walleye were still in the process of leaving the rivers, and reduced speed to trolling level. Since I was alone & not the most experienced at the time, I was just going to long-line one pole off either side of the boat. Got a shallow diving plug put on my first rod - I was fishing 5-8 FOW - and put it in my rod holder. While I'm getting the second plug put on, my first rod started jumping like crazy! Thinking of how I was going to rub it in when I told my dad about the trip and how much he'd regret not going, I dropped the rod I was readying & grabbed the one out of the holder. Felt like a nice heavy fish on the end, then I realized the line was going up....

Yep - a seagull had dove down 2' into the water after my plug, grabbed it, and managed to hook itself. I had to do the rip-n-reel - give it a hard jerk to make the bird fall into the water, then reel as fast as I could - in order to get it to the boat. After 2 or 3 shots, I got the net over it, used the needle-nose pliers to get my lure back, and then tried releasing it. I say tried because it was tangled up good in the net.

So picture this: I was about midway between the mouth of the Saginaw and boaters beach, standing up in my little boat, with a seagull in the net, shaking the net over the side of the boat trying to get the stupid bird out. Every time I'd shake the net, the bird would let out a loud squawk. There were people driving back and forth the entire time I was 'landing' it and trying to get it out of the net. I was expecting to have the DNR pull up and ask why I was molesting a seagull any time. :D It finally came untangled & I was able to go back to fishing. (How I learned what had happened is that I put the same lure back out & watched other seagulls dive-bombing the water! I changed lures in one big hurry...)

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » April 6th, 2019, 6:04 am

I've caught 2 seagulls in my life. One on a perch rig fishing from the very old "Whites Dock" on the Saginaw and one I snagged in mid-air casting spoons for kings from the Port Austin pier. Both were highly pissed when landed. :lolol:
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.