Its Christmas time again.

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: Chamookman, capt.dan

capt.dan

Its Christmas time again.

Unread post by capt.dan » December 17th, 2018, 10:00 am

Quite a few years back My life long friend Jim and his new bride at the time, came down from Onaway Michigan to open presents and have Christmas Eve supper with his mother and his family. Having some time to kill before the scheduled family get together He/we decided to go out ice fishing. And What was supposed to be a short afternoon till dark trip, turned into a 10:00pm quitting time fishing trip. We had hit the mother load of biting walleyes and neither of us wanted to leave until they quit biting. Of course the repercussions from this trip are stilled talked about in his family some 20 years later. And as you can imagine, not quite as fondly as our own recollections of that night. Years later after that trip, I authored a poem that I posted on my fishing board in the same style and cadence as that popular Christmas poem "The Night Before Christmas" I tried to capture and described our trip that night and how for some reason it changed my own mental perception of a successful fishing trip. Maybe it was just time, or maybe it was the true magic nature of that night.

Twas the night before Christmas, and across Saginaw Bay.
Some lanterns were lit up by those wanting to stay.

All Cracks crossed from the journey, were sealed tight all the way out.
And Having no strong West Wind switches, gave no real cause to worry about.

The day bite had proved finicky, unproductive from all those that we asked.
With many fish charging in like torpedo's, but stopping short of completing their task.

But in these late twilight hours, this best time IMV to catch fish.
It's not always the best time to pack up early, or leave in a panic or lurch.

Many Years of successful examples, have confirmed the profits of my search.
That indeed in these twilight hours, are best times for the walleye, white fish and the perch.

To soon the sounds of hundreds, of machines being started at once.
From every direction lights begin converging, heading West and away from the sun.

But me and my buddy stayed put, keeping silent, stalwart and low key.
Working our spoons tipped with shiners, while watching electronics for any possible leads.

Then Almost an hour later, a broad Red Band appears on the Old FL-8.
Hovering just below my dead stick shiner, who now panics contemplating his fate.

My next moves would be very important, a final conclusion, a direct result given this case.
Should I jiggle, rip up or lift slowly, as all could cause panic, shock or failure, when done in this walleyes face.

But the dead stick loads up slowly, as the weight of the fish increased .
So I drove the Gen's Worm hook home firmly, then began playing this fish with clenched teeth.

Her struggle for life was impressive, with twists, big circles and strong runs.
But finally ended in her fatigued failure, as I slid her out motionless and fully stunned.

A sudden/unexpected feeling envelops me, watching this beautiful fish now gasping for life.
And My buddies jaw drops wide open, as I unhook her, and give her a kick back under the ice.

I've taken my share of big walleyes My friend, and have reached a point in my life.
That the catching part means more to me then the killing, especially when shared with good friends by my side.

The catching that night had only started, with fish after fish hitting the ice.
But only my buddies limit was taken, that night we fished before the birthday of Christ.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

sagbay
Site Admin

Unread post by sagbay » December 17th, 2018, 5:18 pm

christmas-2018.jpg
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise

Chamookman

Unread post by Chamookman » December 18th, 2018, 3:13 am

Merry Christmas to all & have SAFE New Year :!:
Bass - A fish for People that can't catch Walleyes !

Brian Cole

Unread post by Brian Cole » December 18th, 2018, 8:53 am

Well done. Merry Christmas Capt.

bc