Perch Fishing.

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: Chamookman, capt.dan

capt.dan

Perch Fishing.

Unread post by capt.dan » September 19th, 2018, 11:03 am

What Size Perch to keep? With the recent legal walleye size and possession limits/laws/rules changing recently and the often heated debates over them, I'm wondering if at some point in the renewed interest in perch fishing and now with the many posted success pictures of same, that they might also eventually elicit some future negative comments. I'm guessing that not many of you are old enough to remember the old days, when you'd come across piles of small perch laying on the ice dead, left there by "Sportsmen" to freeze to death, be wasted and/or be a huge meal for sea gulls or other fish eating predators. There were no creel limits on perch back then, nor a seldom aggressive or enforced waste law concerning perch that kept anybody from size culling and/or wasting these fish by the hundreds if they were deemed to small by the catcher to clean. Some People were either to lazy to kick them back into the hole, or just naturally thought that culling these smaller ones out of the population was the best or natural thing to do, to keep the larger ones more viable. I don't ever remember my Dad instructing the brother or I to do this and remember often his disgust when we'd come apon this stupid waste on the ice. I am so thankful after all these years that it seems the perch numbers and quality are coming back to fishable numbers. And that the size perch one keeps today within the limit of 25, remains the choice of the catcher. I just hope we never get so many that we once again see the waste of this resource that I've seen in my life time. Fact is, whatever size your willing to keep, clean and eat remains your own legal and personal standard. Another fact is, they all taste great.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

Chamookman

Unread post by Chamookman » September 20th, 2018, 3:16 am

I too remember those wasteful piles Danno :? .
Bass - A fish for People that can't catch Walleyes !