Off Topic.

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: Chamookman, capt.dan

capt.dan

Off Topic.

Unread post by capt.dan » May 18th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Not exactly Fishing related I know, but its another Bay blow-day. So I just finished doing some Customizing on My other outdoor obsession, on a gun I've always wanted. I fell in love early on with the rugged looks of the early Vietnam era M-14's with barrowed (never fail) M-I Garand charging and extracting bolt mechanisms, with Vintage wood stocks. The M14 was an American selective fire automatic rifle that fired 7.62×51mm NATO (.308 in) ammunition. It gradually replaced the M1 Garand rifle in U.S. Army service by 1961 and in U.S. Marine Corps service by 1965. My first visual introduction to the M-14 came as a Kid, in the Toy look-alike version By The Marx Toys Company (picture included below) that I got for Christmas. It was battery charged and made gun sounds while the barrel in front of the muzzle break/flash suppressor would undulate back and forth when you pulled the trigger. Many Kids back then, told me it was a privilege to get ambushed and gunned down by me in a good game of "ARMY" ;-) So it was a real gun I've always wanted. I Bought this newer (more dependable/accurate) Ruger Ranch version 5800 series serial # Mini-14 from Franks Recently and with a few modification add-ons, she's now one beautiful beast.
Attachments
marxm14gun5.jpg
IMG_1685.jpg
IMG_1685.jpg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 759 times
IMG_1684.jpg
IMG_1684.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 759 times
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg (93.26 KiB) Viewed 759 times
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG (99.88 KiB) Viewed 759 times
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg (109.65 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

Chamookman

Unread post by Chamookman » May 19th, 2018, 3:03 am

Wow - Nice !
Bass - A fish for People that can't catch Walleyes !

FHB

Unread post by FHB » May 19th, 2018, 10:00 am

Very nice, Dan. I did basic training with the M1 Garand. They were transitioning to the M14 while I was on active duty, however I was never issued one. Since I was in a training unit in Air Defense Artillery, the only time I carried a weapon was on guard duty, when we were issued M1 Carbines, or M2s set to semi-auto, and the selector lever removed. Later in that period, I was a driver for the guards (NCOs) on roving patrol in the radar parks, and they carried M14s. Not like that one, though.
Fred - Go Blue! :go blue:

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » May 19th, 2018, 5:45 pm

FHB wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 10:00 am
Not like that one, though.
No. I'm sure it looked more like the Toy one in the picture AT THE TOP.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

jaybe

Unread post by jaybe » May 23rd, 2018, 10:10 am

Sounds like Fred and I were in the service at the same time (62-65). I also was trained on the M-1, but used an M-14 in a tournament (which we knew nothing about until we got off the bus at the range). This was in France where I served for 2 years as a communications technician. We competed against all who were in the Seine Area Command.
I came away with 3 trophies: 2nd place standing slow fire, 2nd in kneeling rapid fire, and 2nd in grand aggregate score.
So I have fond memories of that rifle as well, though I have only fired borrowed ones. 😁
Been in a boat since I was 6 months old.

FHB

Unread post by FHB » May 28th, 2018, 10:16 am

jaybe wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 10:10 am
Sounds like Fred and I were in the service at the same time (62-65).
Exactly, Jerry. March '62 to March '65. My last time on the range for qualification, I rated Expert. I had, as a partner, an SFC who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. He told me that if I qualified him, he'd score me as Expert. I did, and he did. He qualified as Marksman, and I qualified as Expert, both with our M1 Pencils.
Fred - Go Blue! :go blue: