THE GREAT SAGINAW BAY WALLEYE DEBATE

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: Chamookman, capt.dan

sagbay
Site Admin

Unread post by sagbay » March 23rd, 2018, 3:36 pm

By Capt. Terry R. Walsh
Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Dave Fielder, lead biologist for the Saginaw Bay walleye restoration program, presented a detailed and lengthy “scientific analysis based on several models” in an effort to convince the Lake Huron Citizen’s Fishery Advisor Committee (LHCFAC) a commercial by-catch would not jeopardize the stability of the bay’s walleye population.
walleye-commercial-fish.jpg
The two main by-caught species in Michigan’s
commercial fishery are: lake trout and walleye.
walleye-commercial-fish.jpg (58.94 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

“Annual by-kill can run between 24-34 percent of the recreational fishery harvest and have no significant impact on the bay’s walleye population,” Fielder said. The LHCFAC was not buying it.

The information is largely based on a Michigan State University Study in 2010 that estimated walleye by-kill by commercial fisherman during the study period of May through August to be 21,500 fish. Entering that information into a mortality model, the MSU study predicted an annual by-kill of 101,000 walleye. (These fish are presumed dead. The commercial fishers want a percentage of the live fish they release.) The DNR is operating on eight-year-old information regarding a walleye population that was estimated at over 4 million in 2009 and currently estimated at 2.5 million in 2018, a drop of 1.5 million walleye.

The commercial fishers were making a strong push to harvest a percentage of those 2.5 million Walleye through secret negotiations with the DNR as it was drafting a new commercial fisheries statute. Once word was leaked to the public of the secret negotiations, a firestorm of angry protest descended on the DNR and the state’s lawmakers. Since the salmon crash of 2004, walleye are the only significant game left in Lake Huron. The economic loss to the shoreline communities and recreational value to the state’s anglers could ill afford the risk of a walleye crash as well.

The Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC), under the leadership of Executive Director Dan Eichinger, put together a select committee representing major sportsmen’s organizations throughout the state and began drafting a commercial fishing statute that would fairly represent the angling public. In the coming months, maybe weeks, a new commercial fishing statute will be introduced in the legislature, and public hearings will follow. The legislative committee likely to get this bill meets on Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. A strong showing of sportsmen need to attend these hearings once announced and make their voices heard.

In the meantime, the walleye clubs around the bay that built and maintained the rearing ponds for so many years can take great pride in the role they played in making Saginaw Bay one of the finest walleye fisheries in the Midwest. They are adamantly opposed to any commercial harvest of walleye in Saginaw Bay. “Walleye are a game fish and they need to stay that way,” is the message anglers are sending to the DNR and state legislators.
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » March 24th, 2018, 6:31 am

Commercial taking of walleyes has been closed since the mid 1940's for a reason. There was virtually NO sport fishing for walleyes back then, save the ice fishery when people were most likely and able to reach them. So the fishery was destroyed by a combination of spawning grounds pollution AND OVER HARVEST by commercial fishermen and it stayed that way for roughly 40 years. I was personally disgusted by the sneaky way both the DNR & fisheries handled this. And I'm convinced that if any commercial entity ever got one foot in the door and started taking any percentage of walleyes in any way from Lake Huron, the mold would be set for their future and probably permanent intrusion and a big chunk of the walleye pie.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

oldnslo

Unread post by oldnslo » March 24th, 2018, 11:38 am

The commercial fishermen have not particapted in the restoration of walleye in the bay as far as I know but want reap rewards. I believe the effort to restore the walleye was volunteers and clubs without DNR help.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » March 24th, 2018, 12:25 pm

oldnslo wrote:
March 24th, 2018, 11:38 am
The commercial fishermen have not particapted in the restoration of walleye in the bay as far as I know but want reap rewards. I believe the effort to restore the walleye was volunteers and clubs without DNR help.

I was there at the begining and it was indeed a public effort at the begining. But the DNR immediately recognized the renewed resource value, the possible successful reintroduction and the viability of the walleye and feared for their own Job Security if the public entities proved to be responsible stewarts of the resource.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

Chamookman

Unread post by Chamookman » March 25th, 2018, 3:10 am

These attempts by Commercial Guys, are just like the Gun Grabbers - they just won't go away :evil: :!:
Bass - A fish for People that can't catch Walleyes !

gator1958

Unread post by gator1958 » March 25th, 2018, 8:52 pm

I took a DNR survey the other day. DNR trying to determine if the average person in Michigan knew anything about CWD in deer. I was ok with survey until they asked my age and whether I was male, female OR OTHER. DNR scientific data from this day forward will will mean nothing to me due to that one question.