DNR offers Saginaw Bay Walleye Clinic May 9-10, 2017

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: capt.dan, Chamookman

sagbay
Site Admin

DNR offers Saginaw Bay Walleye Clinic May 9-10, 2017

Unread post by sagbay » April 10th, 2017, 12:51 pm

DNR offers Saginaw Bay Walleye Clinic, featuring Hall of Fame pro walleye fisherman Mark Martin, May 9-10

pro fisherman Mark Martin holding large walleyeThe Department of Natural Resources Outdoor Skills Academy will offer an in-depth opportunity to learn about Saginaw Bay walleye fishing Tuesday and Wednesday, May 9 and 10, at the Saginaw Bay Visitor Center in Bay City, Michigan.

The two-day Saginaw Bay Walleye Clinic will begin May 9 with a tips and techniques session, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Instructors Captain Mark Martin – Walleye Trail World Champion and full-time Hall of Fame professional walleye fisherman – and Captain Brandon Stanton of Team Gunsmoke Sportfishing and Guide Service will cover the equipment and skills needed to catch Saginaw Bay walleye. The class will take the novice angler through rod and reel selection, rigging and presentation techniques, and natural history tips about walleye in Saginaw Bay.

On the second day of the clinic, running 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., participants will have an opportunity to experience hands-on, one-on-one time with Martin’s pro-staff as they board pro boats and fish Saginaw Bay.

Cost for the clinic is $165, which includes lunch both days and pro boat trips. Participants are encouraged to bring the fishing gear they already have.

Registration is limited to 28 participants. Sign up for the Saginaw Bay Walleye Clinic in the Michigan e-Store.

For more information, contact park interpreter Valerie Blaschka at 989-667-0717 or blaschkav@michigan.gov.

The Saginaw Bay Visitor Center is located inside Bay City State Recreation Area at 3582 State Park Drive in Bay City. A Recreation Passport is required for entry into the recreation area and the Saginaw River Boat Launch.

The DNR Outdoor Skills Academy offers in-depth, expert instruction, gear and hands-on learning for a range of outdoor activities at locations around the state. Learn more about the Outdoor Skills Academy at michigan.gov/outdoorskills

Hall of Fame professional walleye fisherman Mark Martin, pictured here, will share his expertise as one of the instructors at the Department of Natural Resources Outdoor Skills Academy's in-depth Saginaw Bay Walleye Clinic in Bay City May 9-10./
Attachments
Mark+Martin.jpg
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » April 18th, 2017, 7:16 am

Firstly, I've know Mark Martin for years and like the guy very much. He's the real deal and has the recognition in many more ways then just fishing. But I'm mildly confused about why the DNR would offer this clinic in their capacity as State managers of the resource, while acting as the promoters of any fishing guides seminar, for money going into that guides pockets. I do understand that more people successfully fishing the bay, means more users of the resource, that means more interest in the sport, that means more people visiting and supporting our area businesses and so on. Just looks like and strikes me as a horse with 2 tails for some reason. :thinking:
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

oldnslo

Unread post by oldnslo » April 18th, 2017, 9:24 am

I think the same capt.

fishhinds

Unread post by fishhinds » April 19th, 2017, 8:35 pm

I signed up for it and I am looking forward to it.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » April 20th, 2017, 1:30 am

I'm sure all signed up will find it worth the effort, money and benefit from the knowledge and experience shared Dave. :thumleft:

But that part wasn't why or was in my initial thoughts about the DNR's criterion when picking the instructor. eusa_think
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.

fishhinds

Unread post by fishhinds » May 1st, 2017, 10:31 am

what does a horse with two tails mean? Call me sheltered but I have never heard that reference.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » May 1st, 2017, 10:56 am

Two tails is Similar to the coin with two sides Dave. And this isn't about making anybody think they've wasted their time or money by signing up for the class. Nor about taking money out of Mark Martins pocket. But, I can think of several different guides or charter captains qualified and possibly more in recent touch with our fishery, to teach a course on fishing the Saginaw Bay. Many who actually fish it with a lot more frequency and regularity then Mark himself does. And NO I would not accept the job myself, nor do I feel slighted because I wasn't asked. Dealing with the many State (DNR) agencies concerning their charter rules, regulations and certain CO's idiosyncrasies the last 25 years, and their propensity to pick and choose favorites at certain times. Its only natural to wonder how one qualifies for a State sponsored and advertised gig for personal profit, that's all. Again, I KNOW AND LIKE Mark very much. He will indeed be an excellent teacher for all the Bays trolling and walleye catching basics IMV. But may lac in some regards the more immediate and defined pulse of a few of the more refined methods and details, that have become quite unique and successful in only the last few years on the Bay, that's all. Ask Mark to explain some of the more finer details about running spoons for walleyes on jet divers, diving discs or lead core. Or strategies for running AA Bombers in shallow water. Let us know what you lean. :wink:

fishhinds

Unread post by fishhinds » May 1st, 2017, 2:50 pm

I'll post something out here to be sure. The posting by the DNR is curious. "feel free to bring what equipment you have on the second day" which seems to be aimed at a person who bought a planer board and does not know how to use it. Why do you need 7 experienced captains presenting - some of which fish the bay all the time for that? There is room for some really good stuff to come out. I think the level of instruction to the class will be determined by who the class participants are.

capt.dan

Unread post by capt.dan » May 1st, 2017, 8:14 pm

fishhinds wrote:
May 1st, 2017, 2:50 pm
I'll post something out here to be sure. The posting by the DNR is curious. "feel free to bring what equipment you have on the second day" which seems to be aimed at a person who bought a planer board and does not know how to use it. Why do you need 7 experienced captains presenting - some of which fish the bay all the time for that? There is room for some really good stuff to come out. I think the level of instruction to the class will be determined by who the class participants are.
I absolutely agree. :thumright:

fishhinds

Unread post by fishhinds » May 11th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Well, the class was interesting and it was a whole lot better than working. The class participants varied greatly in experience and the questions reflected that. There were some nuggets for everyone though. I picked up a couple of tips that will simplify tying crawler harnesses and a few saginaw bay/river fishing secret hot tips. Mark Martin shared some stories from his earlier tournament days that were pretty interesting. Captains Brandon Stanton, Ken Rice, Mick Broughton, Kyle Buck and two others that I will add later presented on 6 different topics and from thier own personal experience, they each added value to the day. This event was put together by the saginaw bay walleye club and the visitor center director at the bay city state park. From comments I heard I expect that this will happen again. The second day was spent on the water where the class participants got to put into practice the different things they learned and got to see the captains in action demonstrating the different walleye presentations in a hands on fashion. If you're new fishing for walleye on the bay then this class is for you. If you've been at it for a long time than it is an opportunity to pick up a few things and to spend the day in a boat with an experienced charter captain and pick his brain on different presentations.