Michigan's Fishing Heritage is at Risk

General Discussion: This is a great place to go to post your questions, comments, suggestions (and even complaints!). Please keep the postings at a professional level.
Thank You!

Moderators: capt.dan, Chamookman

sagbay
Site Admin

Michigan's Fishing Heritage is at Risk

Post by sagbay » October 11th, 2023, 11:17 am

Dear Concerned Conservationist,

MICHIGAN’S SPORTFISHING HERITAGE IS AT RISK

New legislation dropped yesterday in the Michigan House would put Michigan’s $2.3 B recreational angling industry and Michigan's rich fishing heritage at risk.

TAKE ACTION NOW

HB 5108, sponsored by Rep. Jason Morgan (D-Ann Arbor), would allow for the state-licensed commercial take of game fish, including lake trout, smallmouth, panfish, walleye, perch and other game fish.

These fish are planted, reared and managed using recreational angler monies through fishing license sales and the Dingell-Johnson Sportfishing Act, which levies an excise tax on fishing equipment and is apportioned back to states for fisheries work.

This legislation would have an immeasurable impact on our recreational fishery and outdoor heritage, as well as the 171,000+ jobs it supports.

Similar legislation was attempted once before, and conservationists like yourself helped stop the legislation before it got any real traction and instead moved a commercial fishing package that protected game species.

Our fishing heritage needs you again.

MUCC’s call to action page, where you can send a letter to your state representative and the bill's sponsors, telling them not to allow the commercial take of Michigan’s prized game fish.

SAVE Saginaw Bays' WALLEYES TAKE ACTION NOW

Send your representative a message, and take a stand for our fishing heritage.
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise (FJB)

nate

Post by nate » October 12th, 2023, 1:49 pm

I have emailed my state rep and shared my opion that this bill should be thrown in the trash and asked for his stance and opion on this topic. We’ll see if I get a response DavidMartin@house.mi.gov is who I emailed

nate

Post by nate » October 12th, 2023, 6:15 pm

IMG_0521.png
IMG_0522.png

nate

Post by nate » October 12th, 2023, 6:16 pm

I’m gonna stop by and say hi to this cat tomorrow and see what he’s got to say your all invited

sagbay
Site Admin

Post by sagbay » October 12th, 2023, 8:04 pm

Good Luck Nate :fingers-crossed:
What I am being told Serafin Fishery. Pinconning. is the big pusher of wanting to net walleyes in Saginaw Bay banghead
All People are Worthy of Respect Until They Prove Otherwise (FJB)

capt.dan

Post by capt.dan » October 15th, 2023, 9:45 am

sagbay wrote:
October 12th, 2023, 8:04 pm
Good Luck Nate :fingers-crossed:
What I am being told Serafin Fishery. Pinconning. is the big pusher of wanting to net walleyes in Saginaw Bay banghead
He always has been. The man makes millions on the steadily decreasing White Fish populations but is never happy. They turn this Guy loose on walleye and it over.
Not everyone will agree with, understand you, like you, appreciate your character, personality or politics. Not even a few benefiting from your knowledge and/or generosity. But stay true to your beliefs and convictions.